The Tulip Church of God is located in Richland Township, Greene County, Indiana. David Neidigh, who was born in 1819 deeded the land for the church and cemetery sometime before the Civil War. The first church was a log structure and was called the Friendship Church.
David Neidigh was a minister in the church and later became a Chaplin in the Army during the Civil War. He died of the measles in a hospital in Memphis, Tennessee in 1863 and buried in Memphis. He joined the Church of God when he was a young and entered the ministry. An article about his death appeared in the Church Advocate at the this time. David and his wife, Margaret Hines Neidigh had 5 daughters. His wife Margaret Neidigh Axe, is buried in the Tulip Cemetery. The log church which was later used as a stable burned the same night as the Gainey Store, which was located near it. Peter Killinger operated a store and post office on the corner opposite the church. In 1885 he became the first postmaster at this location. The mail was brought on horseback by Jacob Flory to the post office from Worthington, Indiana. This was called the Tulip Post Office.
In November 1891, the second church, which was a frame building and had been a Baptist Church, was bought and moved about one-fourth mile to the present location. This church was dedicated as the Cross Roads Bethal, since it was located at the cross roads which was known as Tulip, Indiana. At that time there was another general store and two homes located on the adjacent corners.
In this church the men usually sat on the left side of the middle aisle and the women on the right side. Kerosene lamps were used on the pulpit and in the windows. Rev. Kemp, Rev. Henry Flory and Rev Cisney were well known ministers of the church. In the early nineteen hundreds the building became so badly in need of repairs that funerals were held under the trees in the church yard instead of inside the building It was decided in 1916 to build a new church building The trustees who helped raise the funds for the new building were Jacob Flory, Elza Watson and Wesley Killinger. Between 1916-1020, while construction was underway meetings were held in the homes of members.
In 1916 it was decided to deed the church property to the trustees of the Indiana Eldership of the Churches of God for one dollar The church trustees at this time were Henry Flory, Aaron Sims and Jacob Flory.
In 1920 the present brick building was completed. The Rev. O.O. Guyer, President of Findlay College delivered the dedicatory address. The first minister in the new church was Rev Levi Brugman, a Belgian immigrant He played a concertina and had been a Chaplin in the Salvation Army. Since the church was commonly known as the Tulip Church of God, in 1948 the name was officially changed by the Indiana Churches of God Conference.
In 1959 during the time of Rev. S.A. Ferguson, an addition of inside basement steps was begun. The basement walls were finished with paneling and tiles were put on the ceiling. Later restrooms were built and city water was installed. At this time the basement began being used for Sunday school and social gatherings.
Several ministers have served the church. Some of those were Rev. Roscoe Moore of Casey, Illinois Rev. Virginia Flory, who later began evangelistic work, had a good start at Tulip Church. Rev. S.A. Ferguson, Rev. Marion Noel, Rev. Jack Gray, Rev. Michael Johnson, Rev. David Kapaku and Rev.Darrell Spicer are just some of the many pastors who have served at Tulip. There were prominent ministers who have held revivals at the Tulip Church of God through the years also.
The present minister is Jeffrey Rockey who with his family moved from Fort Wayne, Indiana in answer to the call of the Tulip Church in 1996. The elders at the time were George Helms and Gregory McIntosh; Deacons were David Harshman and Don Luse; Trustees were Robert McIntosh, Kenny McIntosh and Jarrod Holtsclaw. In 2002 plans began to be made to build a new church building. Real estate was purchased nearby from George and Martha Helms and the current building was constructed.
History written by Clara Belle Harshman and Oaklene McIntosh